How to Make a Tart Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the egg yolk, cream, and vanilla together in a small bowl and whisk together with a fork.
- Using a food processor, cut the butter into the flour, powdered sugar, and salt until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly pour the liquids into the flour mixture while the food processor is running and let it process until it begins to come together.
- Remove the tart dough and flatten it into a disc, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour in the fridge.
- When the dough has chilled, roll it out on a lightly-floured surface into a circle slightly larger than your tart pan (mine is a 9-inch pan but I think this could also probably fit a 10-inch pan), then gently lift it over the pan and press into the corners and fluted sides, running a rolling pin over the top to cut off any excess dough.
- Freeze the tart shell for 30 minutes, then press a double layer of foil into the tart shell and fill with pie weights. Here is a helpful resource with step-by-step pictures about how to blind bake a tart crust using pie weights.another 5 to 10 minutes, until golden.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees before removing the pie weights and foil and baking for